Would You Be Interested In A Modded Minecraft Experience? Click Me!

If Snapcraft were to set up a modded Minecraft server, would you be interested in playing it?

• Definitely yes

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • It seems interesting, I might give it a try

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • I prefer what we have now.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • No. Definitely not.

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki3point0

Special Person
Please note: the Staff have not officially decided to create a modded minecraft server. This is just to gauge whether the community is interested in something like that.

This thread is to see how many people in the Snapcraft community would be interested in a modded minecraft experience, hosted through Snapcraft.

Examples of which include:
  • Any feed-the-beast pack (FTB Unleashed, FTB Unhinged, FTB Ultimate, Mindcrack, and more!)
  • Any technic pack (Attack of the B-team, Tekkit, Hexxit, Galacticraft, and more!)
  • Or a hand-picked mod-pack set with various mods chosen by staff.
Vote on the poll or post below! :)

If you have a mod-pack that you love to play, mention it below! (but remember, no server IPs ;-))

Should the community be interested in a modded minecraft experience, what will most likely happen is that the staff would meet and discuss which mods would serve best for this community. Not all mods an a set modpack would be included as the potential for abuse is too high. Also, considering the sheer amount of resources that a modded minecraft server uses, access would probably be limited either to donors or a significantly smaller portion of individuals than the rest of Snapcraft's available servers.

Joshua21811

Stone Miner
I Like That The Snapcraft People Is Deciding To Create A Modded Server. The Only Problem May Be That People Would Have TMI, Or Too Many Items, To Play With. What I'll Say Is The Staff Should Limit What Mods You Can Have With Mod Packs.

OP
OP
Nikki3point0

Nikki3point0

Special Person
Attack of the B-Team is a modded minecraft experience created by Youtubers GenerikB and BdoubleO100.

It includes the following mods.
  • Advanced Genetics by ObsiLP (inject yourself with DNA and gain attributes like flying, underwater breathing, etc.)
  • Archimedes Ships by Balkondeur Alpha (build an airship and fly around the map)
  • Artifice by Shukaro (various new blocks)
  • Biomes o' Plenty by TDWP_FTW (extra biomes and awesome stuff)
  • Carpenter's Blocks by Mineshopper (a builder's dream)
  • Chisel by AUTOMATIC_MAIDEN, Darwin by Manchou (also a builder's dream)
  • Dragon Mounts by BarracudaATA (Ride-able. Dragons. Need I say more?)
  • Enhanced Portals 2 by Alz454 (an easier way to get around)
  • Flan's Mod w/ Parts Pack/Modern Warfare/Titan Pack by jamioflan (GUNS)
  • Food Plus by JoseTheCrafter (FOOD. Like buttered toast and stuff. It's great)
  • Fossils and Archaeology: Re-Ported by Team July/Ported by CannibalVox (Resurrect dinosaurs and ancient weapons)
  • Galacticraft by Micdoodle8 (SPACE. YOU CAN GO TO THE MOON. AND MARS.)
  • Hamsterrific by Razzleberry Fox (Pet. Hamsters.)
  • Hamsters Forever by CannibalVox (MOAR pet hamsters)
  • Hats by iChun, Liquid XP by immibis (Mobs sometimes wear hats. Kill them and get their hat! Wearable and tradeable!)
  • Map Writer by Davey Liam (a giant map showing an over-view of regions you've explored)
  • Minecraft Minions by AtomicStryker (Commit your soul to the darkness and get little dudes who follow you around and do your bidding)
  • Minefactory Reloaded by skyboy (Machines for more automation)
  • Morph by iChun (Kill a mob? BE a mob!)
  • Mr. Crayfish's Furniture Mod by Mr. Crayfish (Another part of the builders dream. Comes with stoves and couches and stuff.)
  • Natura by mDiyo (Combined with Biomes O'Plenty, it's more plant-matter)
  • Open Blocks by Mikeemoo (You can make elevators and stuff)
  • Project Red: by Mr. TJP and Chicken Bones (routed request pipes for easy storage - everything is in one place!)
  • qCraft by Dan200 (Quantum Physics for Minecraft!)
  • Random Things by lumien (Random blocks like player detectors, fertilized dirt, and more!)
  • Saintspack (Dubstep Gun) by Thieves (WUB WUB WU8-)
  • Secret Rooms by AbrarSyed (Create secret rooms)
  • Statues by AUTOMATIC_MAIDEN (Make a statue of literally ANY player EVER.)
  • Sync by iChun (Clone yourself - clone has it's own identity and inventory)
  • The Necromancy Mod by sirolf2009/Ported by CannibalVox (Put minions together like Frankenstein's Monster)
  • Thermal Expansion by King Lemming ()
  • Tinkers Construct by mDiyo (Build your own custom tools!)
  • Trailmix by iChun (Ore processing, power production/transport, liquid support, and some really excellent automation helpers)
  • Tropicraft by The Tropicraft Team (If you like piña coladas...)
  • Waila by Prof Mobius (Look at an item, know what the item is.)
  • Waypoints by AUTOMATIC_MAIDEN (Need to remember a location? Set a waypoint!)
  • Witchery by Emoniph (Voo-doo dolls, curses, potions, and more!)
  • World of Dinos by CannibalVox (DINOSAURS.)

OP
OP
Nikki3point0

Nikki3point0

Special Person
I Like That The Snapcraft People Is Deciding To Create A Modded Server. The Only Problem May Be That People Would Have TMI, Or Too Many Items, To Play With. What I'll Say Is The Staff Should Limit What Mods You Can Have With Mod Packs.

The Staff have not officially decided to create a modded minecraft server. This is just to see if people would be interested.

I agree though, that there may be too many items if we were to choose a set modpack, so what would probably happen is staff getting together to hand-pick certain mods to be in the SnapPack, if one were to be created.

Yes!!!, Pixelmon :3, eh I like FTB also. So Great ideaaaa!
There are lots of Feed The Beast modpacks. Do you have any one in particular you like? Post about it! :)

Joshua21811

Stone Miner
In My Opinion, I Will Say Some Of Those Mods Will Give Players "Chances" To Do Things That Corrupt The Server. We Already Have Enough Of People That Hack. We Also Have Rule Breakers. I'll Say We Can Do Those, But Can You At Least Get Rid Of The Mods That Can Make You Fly And That? The Advanced Genetics Mod Looks Fun, But Can You Decide To Make Some Rules For That Mod And Others?

OP
OP
Nikki3point0

Nikki3point0

Special Person
In My Opinion, I Will Say Some Of Those Mods Will Give Players "Chances" To Do Things That Corrupt The Server. We Already Have Enough Of People That Hack. We Also Have Rule Breakers. I'll Say We Can Do Those, But Can You At Least Get Rid Of The Mods That Can Make You Fly And That? The Advanced Genetics Mod Looks Fun, But Can You Decide To Make Some Rules For That Mod And Others?
Like I said in the opening post, the modpacks posted are just examples of modpacks that are out there. Of course we'd be able to choose which mods would go in and set rules regarding those mods. ;-)

Joshua21811

Stone Miner
Like I said in the opening post, the modpacks posted are just examples of modpacks that are out there. Of course we'd be able to choose which mods would go in and set rules regarding those mods. ;-)
That Would Be A Great Idea To Do If You Guys Get The Modded Server Up And Running. :)

iamontda

Void Walker
A custom SnapPack (I love that name) sounds like the most obvious choice if we do it. B-team is fantastic, I was waiting for release, but flaws are obviously going to be weeded out and overpowered mobs are almost certain. A very nice pack that is cut down for lag and fairness is preferable.

Even areas focused on what you want to do would be fun ("Want to work with the dinos? Even if they auto-spawn server wide, go to ______ location to start building your research center!", "Hone your magical works at coords _____!", etc). I do agree with Joshua, people will try to abuse in any way possible. I wouldn't want to have someone wearing their overpowered armour and guns lumbering in.

I get the feeling that if we're up for a modded pack, there would be massive admin-ing involved and it would morph into the base vanilla Snapcraft's setup style. Still wouldn't mind that, but it would have to be a two-way balance.

Also, if you guys want to suggest mods: airships = no. Even a two-person used server can have glitches with those.

OP
OP
Nikki3point0

Nikki3point0

Special Person
A custom SnapPack (I love that name) sounds like the most obvious choice if we do it. B-team is fantastic, I was waiting for release, but flaws are obviously going to be weeded out and overpowered mobs are almost certain. A very nice pack that is cut down for lag and fairness is preferable.

Even areas focused on what you want to do would be fun ("Want to work with the dinos? Even if they auto-spawn server wide, go to ______ location to start building your research center!", "Hone your magical works at coords _____!", etc). I do agree with Joshua, people will try to abuse in any way possible. I wouldn't want to have someone wearing their overpowered armour and guns lumbering in.

I get the feeling that if we're up for a modded pack, there would be massive admin-ing involved and it would morph into the base vanilla Snapcraft's setup style. Still wouldn't mind that, but it would have to be a two-way balance.
Definitely agreed on all counts.

This is just my personal opinion, but if we were to set up a custom SnapPack, the following would have to occur:
  1. The SnapPack would have to include hand-picked mods. No morph mod, limitations on witchery mod, etc.
  2. Rules would have to be in place and heavily enforced. We'd need a (small) team of dedicated staff for this particular server.
  3. It should be whitelist only - based on maturity level (not age), previous bans/kicks from this server and others.
  4. It should contain a world-border.
  5. It should be more like an exploration server than a PVP-server. PVP should be allowed, but only in certain areas and only with consent from both parties.
  6. Raiding, griefing, and other forms of player-to-player abuse should be prohibited.

YAMPY

Obsidian Miner
Definitely agreed on all counts.

This is just my personal opinion, but if we were to set up a custom SnapPack, the following would have to occur:
  1. The SnapPack would have to include hand-picked mods. No morph mod, limitations on witchery mod, etc.
  2. Rules would have to be in place and heavily enforced. We'd need a (small) team of dedicated staff for this particular server.
  3. It should be whitelist only - based on maturity level (not age), previous bans/kicks from this server and others.
  4. It should contain a world-border.
  5. It should be more like an exploration server than a PVP-server. PVP should be allowed, but only in certain areas and only with consent from both parties.
  6. Raiding, griefing, and other forms of player-to-player abuse should be prohibited.
Just a heads up, i don't know what mod it is but in the Attack of the B-Team there is a thing called 'safari net launcher' and 'luggage' If they were to be in the SnapPack then they need to be blacklisted items (Banned) because they are duplication devices.

iamontda

Void Walker
I agree especially to whitelisting and exploration.

I would hope that if members were let into the server, they would be respectful of all other players' locations, such as how the Yogscast work together (For example, they all have their respective series's on one passworded/LAN server, and none of them suddenly run and grief another player, even when they could). I don't mean to doubt anyone, but I know that someone will get on and grief a section. I hate having moderations letting people claim areas of land, but that may be an imminent choice.

OP
OP
Nikki3point0

Nikki3point0

Special Person
Just a heads up, i don't know what mod it is but in the Attack of the B-Team there is a thing called 'safari net launcher' and 'luggage' If they were to be in the SnapPack then they need to be blacklisted items (Banned) because they are duplication devices.
I love the luggage device. :C Makes me sad that it can dupe.

hayden51

Emerald Miner
I love the idea of a possible modded server. Sounds like a fun, unique opportunity with great potential.

Before this server is launched, a team of staff members should thoroughly test any exploits in these mods that would possibly lead to duplication, unfair advantages, ect. The whitelisting is a great idea, this will provide a more stable player community. If this server is launched, a forums post/application area should be designated for players to apply to be whitelisted.

iamontda

Void Walker
There will also be mods that we wouldn't let in, although people might love them. This is the point where I start to wonder about Thaumcraft and other expansion types. But also, do you guys think that having areas like The Twilight Forest would work for you? It's a different realm within the server as you may know, like the Nether. I just don't want to see that screwed over if it's ever added.

DonAldino

Tree Puncher
I personally love this idea, I like playing on modded servers and snapcraft I think would be great if they had a modded server, just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.