Would You Be Interested In A Modded Minecraft Experience? Click Me!

If Snapcraft were to set up a modded Minecraft server, would you be interested in playing it?

• Definitely yes

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • It seems interesting, I might give it a try

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • I prefer what we have now.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • No. Definitely not.

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamontda

Void Walker
Hah, it would be funny if we just did a basic Feed The Beast pack, let people do whatever, then remove the mods that people cheated with and restarted the map. That would be cruel.

iamontda

Void Walker
Yep. BUT, the magical awesomeness about adding and removing mods is that it can be quite easy. Maybe we, say, use a basic Technic pack (R.I.P). People would log on, but then getting into the server you only need that select few mods the server wants.

You can also add mods back in or newly as well, just make sure people have everything enabled and put download links to the correct mods needed. The process of adding mods is quite easy in the FTB launcher as long as it's compatible.

legendarygod019

Zombie Killer
you should add Pixelmon onto this Server

S

Supercharlieful

Could you guys imagine how many people would be using the quarry, that would completely lag out the server! @iamontda i remember the old Technic pack, was so good!

atvmanzack

First Step
A modded server would be worth a shot, but please don't try Attack of the B Team. It has way too many mods to deal with, and frankly I can't play it for very long on SinglePlayer without getting some heavy lag. Probably the best modpack out there in terms of adventuring is Hexxit. I used to play on some really awesome servers dedicated solely to it, and it has by far provided the best modded server experience I have seen. If Hexxit is considered I would highly recommend you do a few things to optimize the playing experience.
Firstly, it would be awesome to have a "dungeon world" that resets every month or so to avoid running out of dungeons and resources (as happened on a server I saw). Second, please keep the Secret Doors Mod enabled, as it allows skilled players to create ingenious bases that are frankly mindblowing. Third, from what I have seen, a modded server using Hexxit works best as a factions server. Fourth, you gotta disallow the crafting table slab from Tinkerer's Construct as it can dupe backpacks and their contents.
Best of luck to ya! Snapcraft is the one true server!

iamontda

Void Walker
Going to necropost this because I still agree to the idea, and to address those guys above :)

I agree Charlie, people would be using quarries left and right. I think I left one running in the Deep Dark on a small modded server one of the guys put up, and I'm pretty sure that's what made it tank. However, this idea pertaining to a server, it's possible to remove the ability to make certain items, and it's possible to remove certain mods from your server altogether.

Atv has a point in that, most of our computers can't handle a buttload of mods. I like Tekkit because it has a lot of mechanically swaying and magically swaying mods, but it's not very diversed and it's basically a 1.6.4 dinosaur.

Now, Hexxit: I like that. It's really easy to play on and you can spend your time rummaging around in one little area just seeing everything you can. I played it for a while and spent a few days in real life growing chocobos, screwing with a dimensional door, planting food and cotton, and wondering what the black smoky things floating in the air were. I was having fun and didn't even scratch the surface of Hexxit.

But then we move back to the fact that people are gonna jump on the bandwagon and destroy what everyone's worked on. Instead of it being a closed server, it could be like factions as Atv said. I worked for a Crack pack server around summer time last year, and it wasn't technically "open" yet (nobody knew the IP except Staff). They had a floating spawn sitting over water, which you couldn't destroy the blocks of, and you had to jump into the water and swim to find land. Then, like mentioned above, you would treat it like factions (claiming land for your "faction", or yourself). Like the free sponge at the restart of Survival, you would get some free land claims to protect your base (or the golden shovel method could be implemented).

I've never liked the idea of an open server just because people would destroy everything. I've only ever wanted people to do things in harmony, together, but that doesn't happen. Everyone, sadly, wants the best without working for it. This destroying is especially true for Hexxit, because Hexxit is truly a beautiful mod pack that shouldn't be spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.